These teams compete based on the players’ performance which is converted into points. The points are summed up to decide the winning team. As the owner of a team, you will be able to trade, drop and draft players just like how it is done in the real world.
Draft Kings is a fantasy sports website based in Boston and operated by Rotowire, Inc. Since its inception in 2012, the site has evolved continuously thanks to its rapid-fire formula of organizing single-day contests and high stakes winnings.
With over 4,100 Twitter followers and 6,000 Facebook likes, it holds a solid presence in social media. The site was rated A- by Better Business Bureau and has mostly positive reviews from participants.
How to get started
Draft Kings provides fantasy leagues for football, basketball, baseball, hockey, college basketball and college football.
Anyone can participate in a league by following these 5 simple steps.
1. Sign Up: The site charges no fees for signing up, and your account will be credited with $50,000 which applies towards your team’s salary. However, you should be at least 18 years old to register with them.
2. Choose Your Contest: You can choose a free or paid contest, including heat-to-head, guaranteed, qualifiers, multipliers and more.
3. Build Your Lineup: Upon selecting a sport, you will be drafting a team within few minutes. The salary of each player in your team is based on his skill level, and will be deducted from your credits.
4. Track: Monitor your team’s performance live on your smartphone, tablet or computer.
5. Win: Your account will be credited once your chosen contest ends. Send a request to withdraw your winnings. It generally takes two business days to be processed.
Pricing and Refund Policy:
If you wish to participate in a paid contest, you’ll have to add credits to your account using PayPal, credit card or Dwolla.
First time users will receive a free $2 credit to take part in any paid contest, in addition to a bonus equal to the amount of their deposit. Suppose they deposit $100, they get a guaranteed bonus of the same amount which makes their account balance $200.
Draft Kings does not provide a refund once your credits have been used to apply for a contest.
The company’s net worth reached $1 billion recently. The Fortune magazine described Jason Robins, CEO of Draft Kings, as the thick-bearded man who blew up fantasy sports.
Thanks to the relentless marketing campaign, the website is receiving around 200,000 sign-ups every day in the new football season. The company has spent a whopping $81 million on advertising campaigns, since August 1.
Is It Legal?
Draft Kings is completely legal because the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) passed in 2006 considers fantasy sports a game of skill, but not a game of chance.
The law classifies fantasy football or any game as an actual sport where contestants use their skills for winning.